10.27.2010

beware of paper cups...

the following is from an email i received... 
i thought i'd share with you too...

An IT professional working in Technopark, was finding himself with an upset stomach every night. While normal medical checks revealed nothing wrong in him, deeper probes revealed the reason – his stomach was collecting significant amounts of wax. And doctors identified the villian – the ordinary paper cups he used for drinking tea at his office pantry.

Disposable paper cups have become quite popular in office pantries due to the convenience it offers. What many overlook is the fact that these paper cups are coated with a tiny layer of wax, which is essential to prevent water from seeping  into the paper. When very hot liquids are pour over this cup, the wax may disintegrate and a little may come off, which will promptly be sent along with the drink into our stomachs! While our body can discard minor amounts, over the long-term, it does become a problem.

20 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment. Also, thanks for the reminder about harmful substances. I have tried to be careful in this area. Like heating things in the microwave in plastic. Good to know! Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/28/2010

    Thank you so much for the reminder to be careful. Have a blessed afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth this is good to know and thanks for sharing.


    Blessings
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing. I try to be careful but there are things like this that I never think of.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good reminder, so many things we can't drink out of these days! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! Another good reason to save the earth and use a non-disposable mug to drink hot drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, Mildred, Rosie and Annette... thank you too for stopping by.

    Taj Acosta, I know.. so many things indeed. thanks for coming!

    MamaJ,yes! and thanks for coming...

    hugs to y'all

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruth .. thanks for sharing this information... it is another example of reasons to return to simple things in life .. like a good old china cup or mug... hugs.. HHL

    ReplyDelete
  9. when ever my maid takes a off these is the first thing which i take out ..Thanks RUTH

    and hey pretty picture too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa! That is a bit scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a scary truth & fact. Thanks for sharing. Now we have mre reason to go green... use your own mug. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. HHL, yes time to go back to those good old china mugs.... Hugs to you!

    Anamika, thank you!

    Maria and Catheryn, i know... it scared me too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the heads-up on this...WOW!! I would have never guessed it could be harmful to our digestive system!!! Thanks, too, for stopping by Jeremiah 29:11 and leaving me such sweet comments!! You are so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this. I will tell my sis too.

    Have a lovely day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting. I wouldn't think to put a hot liquid in paper, I would use styrofoam, but then again....don't most coffee places use paper? So, my Starbucks paper cup is putting wax in my system. WHoa!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deb, thank you for stopping by.. you are always encouraging!

    Rachanna..you are welcome. thanks for coming.


    Carol, little did i realize until i received this email. and wax in the system sounds scary...:(

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is true. Great that you shared this. Some may not know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Although I'm no longer working anymore (SAHM since June 09), I've never been the type to use paper cups in office unless I absolutely, really, really, really have no choice (like I'm VERY thirsty) - and that too, I'll just use it to store cold/lukewarm water.

    Never trust any plastic products especially if storing hot stuff. Even when we order take away foods, we bring our own metal containers and trays to store the food instead of using the restaurant's/shop's containers.

    Have a nice weekend ahead!

    ~ Jenny
    http://www.imafulltimemummy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have paper cups where I work, but I do not like to waste them so i just use the glass coffee cups instead....i guess i saved the cups and my stomach....:-)
    Thanks for the great info Ruth....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lisa , i didn't know this...so was alerted when i saw the email...:) thanks for coming by.

    Jenny, wow i salute you for that. i was oblivious to danger of plastics!!

    Carrie, you are welcome. thank you for visiting me. have a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by! i love your comments...they always make me SMILE..:)Bless you!! ♥