11.20.2010

give thanks in everything


not too long ago... i met a beautiful american lady... she told me a story... one of the most beautiful stories I've heard... she told me how her forefathers sailed from england to come to america, the land they call theirs now... they couldn't carry much of their belongings... so they left many many things behind but their BIBLE which was the only book used for their first school.... they landed one cold winter day... many did not survive through... they died of  starvation, sickness... when spring came, the indians taught them to plant corn... they gradually began to produce more than they could consume... during harvests they invited the indians to dinner... so it is said that although there are many stories behind thanksgiving day... inviting the indians to dinner and giving thanks to God for all the plenty is the true story of thanksgiving... 

i love that they didn't leave their Bibles behind... i love this story... don't you think this truly a beautiful story? I do! 
so to all my sweet american friends... wish y'all a safe and blessed thanksgiving week!

and all of us from other countries... let's remember.. that our nations and families too have history ... there are many things to look back on and be grateful for... let's join our american friends and lift our hearts of gratitude and thank God together.. shall we??

Thou hast given so much to me,
Give one thing more, - a grateful heart;
Not thankful when it pleaseth me,
As if Thy blessings had spare days,
But such a heart whose pulse may be Thy praise.
~George Herbert

Come visit Spiritual Sunday. You'll be inspired. 


Love,
Ruth

41 comments:

  1. Yes, the one thing I give to Americans in their love and appreciation for their country.
    May God Bless them and continue to do so with wonderful family Thanks Giving celebrations. Bless you also dear Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal... yes! God bless you and yours too..!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! What a wonderful post. Happy Thanksgiving, to you too!

    You know, as a teacher I think it is important that I share stories about the true point of Thanksgiving and not just that it is a day when we eat turkey and visit family. Thanks for the reminder!
    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so thankful that we are still free to share our love of God openly and without restraint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is beautiful Ruth...thanks for sharing it and Happy Weekend to you....hope it's showered with only good things

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11/20/2010

    Ruth,
    Another lovely post. Thank you for the wisdom and love you share through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a beautiful story, thank you for sharing! And I'm giving thanks here too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maggie, thanks for stopping by. Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

    Audrey, what a blessing it is to be free to share the love of God!

    Sarah, I hope you enjoy your weekend too. Thank you!

    Carol, thank you so much!

    MamaJ, Thank you.. i hope jr. is feeling better..:)

    Happy Thanksgiving to y'all...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11/20/2010

    I echo the responses others have posted here. That really was a lovely story as we approach the week of Thanksgiving. May you and yours be blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for telling our story Ruth. I'm grateful for my country and the foundation it was built upon. Thanksgiving Blessings to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. May you have a blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful story, thank you for sharing!
    Much Blessings,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ruth,

    I remember hearing this story of the pilgrims as a child. Although we designate Thanksgiving as a special day of national thanks in America, each one of us has something to be thankful and appreciative to Almighty God for.

    Thank you for sharing this story and these words by Herbert.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruth you gave the Thanksgiving story a whole new meaning for me. Thank you for blessing me this day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing the story, Ruth. It has ministered to everyone who has visited your blog today. Happy Thanksgiving!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a beautiful story, Ruth! I, too, love the fact that they would not leave their Bibles behind. What a wise choice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Ruth for sharing this story of faith! It is truly a story of dependence on God.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful post...Hope you have a special week of thanks too...God bless..

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely post, Ruth. Thank you and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Ruth,
    What a beautiful story...and so meaningful...You are such a dear!! And I hope you have a beautiful week!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ruth,I too am glad they brought their Bibles.Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.
    Blessing, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, Ruth, for a beautiful and thoughtful post! You are always such an inspiration to me.

    I am grateful for my country and its rich history. I pray that my nation will look back to this history and remember the reasons it was founded...and that the Bible was the book that was carried across the sea from the very beginning.

    Happy Sunday! :o)

    (((HUGS)))

    Larri at Seams Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful story... yes i love to hear stories like this over and over again... stories of our forefathers and God's faithfulness.

    Happy thanksgiving to you too sweety. You are so dear!!

    Blessings,
    Alexis.

    ReplyDelete
  24. you are sight Ruthy... each of us regardless of the nation we belong to... have reason to look back and be thankful for. Thank you for the inspiration Ruthy. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ruth this is a lovely reminder - we have so much to be thankful for no matter where we live.

    May the Lord Bless you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous11/22/2010

    Oh Wow...this is a beautiful and such a thought provoking post. I myself have family and very cherished friends in America and they are the most loving and supportive people I know. I see how they value and appreciate one another and can't help but feel motivated and inspired to do the same for others.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for this lovely reflection on one of our favorite holidays here. And the Bible - that's the best thing they brought with them. I'm so glad they did.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a sweet post from a very sweet spirit. Bless you right back.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, what sweet words you share for us Americans and for people everywhere. Thanks for putting this together.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for stopping by and linking up at my Sunday Hop. I am following you now. Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  31. We have so much to be thankful for and I thank God for my blog friends who share the same love for the God's word as I do! Have a great week, Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank-you for sharing this great story on this wonderful Thansgiving week.
    God Bless,
    Giner

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous11/22/2010

    Hello Ruth, Such a beautiful post. It is always uplifting to visit you. May God richly bless you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous11/22/2010

    That was such a lovely sweet post. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  35. You Ruth are sooooo very special~~~
    Thank you Sweet LORD Jesus for blessing my life with my Beautiful Sister Ruth these past months that You have blessed me in knowing her.. I pray for Your will and covering on her and her family during this Wonderous Season of You LORD and in the Seasons to come as they all do come from You Abba Father.. I'm constantly and forever THANKFUL to You LORD for Everything..
    And Father God,,May my Sweet Sister here, continue to grow and share in her daily minute by minute walk with You Jesus... I pray that in her walk with You she'll grow closer and closer to You and that the enemy will flee in Your Mighty name Jesus...Amen and Amen

    May you enjoy a Blessed Thanksgiving Sweetie and a Blessed Christmas Season in Him...THANKFULLY His blessings come in all shapes sizes and styles :0)
    Jesus is the Reason for each and every Season...

    Hugssssssssssss across the miles~~~ LOVE You Sis~~~Dena

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for this blessing Ruth, and for this beautiful post. This was a beautiful story. I am so proud to be able to celebrate this most thankful season.
    Blessings to you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yes, Thanksgiving is wonderful, and so is God's awesome Word. Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awww sweet Dena... you are so special to me too.. and i praise God for you!
    Amen amen! thank you for the most beautiful prayer said for me...Hugs to you too...!!

    Thanks you all for coming by and leaving me kind, encouraging words... all of you mean so much to me... and each of you make Spiritual Sunday and blogging so much fun and meaningful!! Thank you!! Hugs to all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Ruth. We have so much to be thankful for no matter where we are. God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. great post! Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. Have a great week.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous12/01/2010

    This really is a beautiful story!!! Thank you so very much for sharing this with me!!!

    God's Blessings to you, and everyone!!!

    Lon

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by! i love your comments...they always make me SMILE..:)Bless you!! ♥